Calling for doubling the Scottish Child Payment to help low-income families survive
Today, 1 in 4 children in Scotland are living in poverty. This means they lack basic necessities such as food, electricity, clothes, and even a bed to sleep in.
- We know that increasing numbers of families across Scotland are struggling to make ends meet as child poverty rises.
- Failure to act will result in a further rise in child poverty.
- The economic impact of repeated lockdowns: many more families, who were managing to makes ends meet before, are now falling into the grip of hunger and despair.
- Together we can change that for good
Help us change the minds of our policy makers by signing our petition.
Why we need to act now
Increasing the Scottish Child Payment to £20 per child per week by 2022 will enable families to do more than just survive
- We will have a new Scottish government in 2021. We want politicians to hear our voice, so we must act now.
- The first step towards lifting children and families out of poverty is to ensure they have money to provide for themselves.
- We believe this must be done by applying a ‘cash first’ approach to get money directly to struggling families.
We will present our petition to the new Scottish government in June 2021.
Together we can change minds
Haley lives in Falkirk with her two girls Alix (6) and Evie (10 mo). As a single Mum, she’s really struggled financially at times and has found it hard to keep everyone fed and clothed whilst paying the gas and electricity bills. She has been given help from Aberlour with essentials such as food, baby clothes, a cot and a bed, clothing, etc.
Doubling the Scottish Child Payment from £10 to £20 per week per child would give Haley, and thousands of other low-income families, peace of mind and a chance to provide for her children properly.
“An additional £10 per child per week would make a massive difference to the girls and me. The cost of living is going up all the time and just knowing that we could afford everyday essentials like food and clothing, without having to rely on charities, would be so good.”
On behalf of all families who are finding it tough financially we would be really grateful if you could sign this petition. Thank you.” – Haley
Sign the petition
If you already receive marketing communications from us, this will be unaffected by a box being left blank on this form. You can update your preferences at any time by emailing email@example.com or by calling 0141 260 9190.