Purpose and Aims of the role
Could you spend regular time with a child, sharing a hobby or activity on a weekly basis? If you have a genuine interest in the well being of children and live in the Langlees / Falkirk area then we would love to hear from you. Aberlour Family Support Centre – Langlees helps families by building confidence in parents and offering lots of fun for children.
What will I be doing?
- Making a difference in a child’s life
- Spending regular time with a child
- Sharing an activity/hobby within your local community
- Attending and supporting children to take part in a range of indoor and outdoor activities
- Completing a diary after each visit
- Attending regular support and supervision sessions.
What skills can I bring to this role?
- A genuine interest in the well-being of children
- A few hours to spare each week
- Reliability and commitment
- Friendly and approachable
- Non-judgemental attitude
- Good communication and listening skills
- Responsible and dependable.
What qualities do I need?
- To have a non-judgemental attitude
- To be empathetic
- To be able to treat all information in a confidential manner
- Be friendly, helpful and understanding
- Be enthusiastic, flexible, committed and patient.
When will I be needed?
- Befrienders will spend 2-4 hours weekly with a child
- As our children / young people will be at nursery or school, outings will generally take place after school hours
- A minimum of 1 year’s commitment is required for this role.
What will I gain from the role?
- Excellent training
- Make new friends and meet new people
- Get out and about
- Have FUN!
- Attend social events.
What support will I be given?
- Induction and child protection training
- Specific befriending training
- Role specific training for supporting children
- Ongoing support and supervision.
Due to Health and Safety requirements you must be at least 18 years of age to undertake this volunteering role.
For all roles involving regulated work with children and/or protected adults, Aberlour will require the applicant to join the Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme. We will support you to complete this form and submit this as part of our recruitment process. This opportunity is subject to the completion of satisfactory references and successful registration on the PVG Scheme.
Aberlour Volunteering Team
0141 260 9180 or email: email@example.com