purpose and aims of the role
Would you like to help young people to participate in group activities to build their skills and confidence? Could you spare a few hours a week? If the answer is yes we are currently looking for volunteers with experience in a range of activities. This could include interests in music, arts, and crafts; cooking, sports and health and wellbeing skills which can help improve the health and social wellbeing of our young people.
Aberlour YouthPoint Moray works with young people aged 12-25 who may be experiencing a range of difficulties in their lives. Volunteers will be help to facilitate and lead groups, encouraging young people to achieve their individual goals and become positive role models.
what will i be doing?
- Assisting young people with group activities
- Leading and facilitating groups
- Helping to identify young people’s needs, likes / dislikes
- Supporting young people to undertake new activities
- Helping young people to have fun
- Building young people’s confidence and self esteem
- Being a positive role model
- Supporting staff at outings.
what skills can i bring to this role?
- A specific skill set in a social activity
- Experience of working with children and young people
- A knowledge of some of the issues affecting children and young people
- Ability to work well with children and young people
- Good communication and listening skills
- Experience with building confidence and self esteem
- Ability to encourage and motivate young people to participate in activities.
what qualities do i need?
- To have a non-judgemental approach to people, have empathy
- To have a good value base, be open minded and level headed
- To be a team player
- Be enthusiastic, flexible and committed
- Reliable and approachable
- Friendly, helpful and understanding
- Can work alone and as part of a group
- To be reliable and have a commitment to treat all information in a confidential manner.
when will i be needed?
- After school and evenings or during school holidays
- 2-3 hours per week
- Minimum commitment of 6 months required.
Aberlour YouthPoint Moray, 7 Parade Spur South, Elgin IV30 6AJ
what will i gain from the role?
- A sense of satisfaction in helping young people build their confidence and self-esteem to achieve their full potential
- Practical experience of working with young people
- Learning new skills
- Experience to get back into the workplace or education
- Attend social events, awards and recognition events
- Be part of a professional and supportive team
- Have FUN!
what support will i be given?
- Induction and child protection training
- Role specific training
- Expenses – all out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
- Supervision and support from your manager / coordinator
Due to Health and Safety requirements you must be at least 18 years of age to undertake this volunteering role.
For all roles involving regulated work with children and/or protected adults, Aberlour will require the applicant to submit a PVG Scheme Record or a PVG Scheme Record Update application. This opportunity is subject to the completion of satisfactory references and successful registration on the PVG Scheme.
Jennie Shade – Volunteer Coordinator Aberlour Mentoring Services – Moray
Telephone: 01343 546214