Purpose and Aims of the role
Would you like to help children and young people participate in group activities to build their skills and confidence? Could you spare a few hours a week? If the answer is yes we are currently looking for volunteers with experience in a range of activities and in leading group activities. This could include interests in music, arts, and crafts; cooking, sports and health and wellbeing skills which can help improve the health and social wellbeing of our young people.
Aberlour Options – Fife provides a range of support through outreach and residential short breaks to families who have children and young people with learning disabilities. They also run a BFF (Best Friends Forever) group for young adults with a Learning Disability and/or Autism, who have left school up to and including the age of 25yrs. The aim of BFF is to support and enable young adults to be involved in shaping the development of the service and take a role in leading on the service activities. The aim is for the service to be peer led and for the young adults to have ownership of it.
What will I be doing?
- To help build on the young adult’s existing and emerging life skills including independence, friendship and social skills
- Supporting young people with their independence skills including cooking and food shopping
- Supporting young adults to express their ideas and views on group activities
- Supporting the young adults to organise and plan their time and contribute to the development of the group
- Supporting young adults on outings and activities
- Spending your time talking to the young adults, helping them to feel valued and listened to
- Assisting young people with group activities
- Building young people’s confidence and self esteem
- Supporting young people to get involved in fundraising opportunities
- Being a positive role model
- Supporting staff at outings
What skills can I bring to this role?
- A specific skill set in a social activity
- Experience of working with children and young people
- A knowledge of some of the issues affecting children and young people
- Ability to work well with children and young people
- Good communication and listening skills
- Experience with building confidence and self esteem
- Ability to encourage and motivate young people to participate in activities.
- Ability to encourage and develop independence skills
- Ability to encourage young people and to participate in fundraising opportunities
What qualities do I need?
- To have a non-judgemental approach to people, have empathy
- To have a good value base, be open minded and level headed
- A positive, can do approach.
- Ability to communicate and engage with young people in a way that meets their individual communication needs
- An approach that assists in empowering young people.
- Be enthusiastic, flexible and committed
- To be reliable and have a commitment to treat all information in a confidential manner.
When will I be needed?
- BFF group meets once a fortnight on a Thursday evening.
- After school and evenings or during school holidays
- 4 hours per week
- Minimum commitment of 6 months required.
Aberlour Options Fife (Dunfermline and Glenrothes)
What will I gain from the role?
- A sense of satisfaction in helping young people build their confidence and self-esteem to achieve their full potential
- Practical experience of working with young people
- Learning new skills
- Experience to get back into the workplace or education
- Attend social events, awards and recognition events
- Be part of a professional and supportive team
- Have FUN!
What support will I be given?
- Induction and child protection training
- Role specific training
- Expenses – all out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
- A pre-visit to the service will be provided
- Supervision and support from Options Fife Service Staff.
Due to Health and Safety requirements you must be at least 18 years of age to undertake this volunteering role.
For all roles involving regulated work with children and/or protected adults, Aberlour will require the applicant to submit a PVG Scheme Record or a PVG Scheme Record Update application. This opportunity is subject to the completion of satisfactory references and successful registration on the PVG Scheme.