Aberlour in partnership with Renfrewshire Council are piloting a new bespoke Attainment mentoring service ‘Attain’. This new service offers a flexible, relationship-based mentoring service to support the attainment needs of Renfrewshire’s care experienced children and young people.
At Aberlour, we believe that all children deserve to flourish. We listen: Our services are tailored to help each child, young person or family to be the very best they can be. We support them to overcome significant challenges and we offer support at the earliest opportunity: Giving children the best possible start in life is at the heart of everything we do.
Our vision is to transform the lives of the children and families we work with and, through this, contribute to building a fairer and more equal society.
We are now looking for volunteer mentors to support care experienced children and young people across Renfrewshire who will encourage them to value education and have high aspirations for their future.
What will I be doing as a Mentor?
• Direct one-to-one mentoring with a child or young person
• Providing support for children/young people to access and take part in opportunities within their local area
• Working alongside a child or young person to set personal goals for their education and their future
• To motivate and encourage children/young people to help them to make positive choices in their lives in regards to their education and their future
• Encouraging children and young people to value their education and have high aspirations
• Listening to a child/young person by valuing and respecting their feelings, views and opinions
• Where required taking an active part in reviews and evaluations.
What skills can I bring to this role?
• A knowledge of some of the issues affecting care experienced children and young people
• Ability to encourage and motivate children and young people
• Ability to work well with children and young people in a supportive way
• Good listening skills
• Ability to relate to children and young people and to be able to see things from their point of view
• Experience of building confidence and self-esteem.
What qualities do I need?
• A non-judgemental, empathic approach to children/young people
• Positivity and enthusiasm
• Commitment and reliability with good time management
• To be approachable, patient and understanding
• To be honest and trustworthy
• To have a commitment to treat all information in a confidential manner.
When will I be needed?
• Days, evenings or weekends
• Each meeting lasts for approximately 2-4 hours
• Visits will be weekly/fortnightly depending on the needs of the child/young person
• Minimum commitment of 12 months is required
• One hour every 4/6 weeks for supervision.
What will I gain from the role?
• High quality mentor training, child protection and role specific training
• A sense of satisfaction in helping children and young people in challenging circumstances achieve their full potential
• Practical experience of working with children and young people
• Experience to get back into the workplace or education or to change career path
• This type of volunteering is not for everyone – it needs a real commitment of time and energy but offers real rewards in terms of making a positive difference in the life of a child/young person.
What support will I be given?
• Full induction training
• Child protection training
• Role specific training for care experienced children/young people
• Expenses – all out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
• Ongoing support and supervision from your volunteer coordinator
• Recognition events and volunteer socials throughout the year.
Due to Health and Safety requirements you must be at least 18 years of age to undertake this volunteering role.
For all roles involving regulated work with children and/or protected adults, Aberlour will require the applicant to submit a PVG Scheme Record or a PVG Scheme Record Update application. This opportunity is subject to the completion of satisfactory references and successful registration on the PVG Scheme.
If you would like to be a mentor and really make a difference please contact us below, we would love to hear from you.
Aberlour Volunteering Team
Telephone: 0141 260 9180